Friday, July 30, 2010

Linzy's 20th Birthday has arrived!



Tyler's girlfriend Linzy has been dropping hints for the last several weeks about her birthday cupcakes. She has a very definite wish. Vanilla cupcakes with raspberry filling and raspberry cream cheese frosting. So that is what I did. She is a good cupcake display girl, don't you think! Happy Birthday Linzy!



Cupcakes after they are filled and frosted. Now we need some decorations!

For the frosting I used 1 stick of butter, 8 oz of cream cheese, 1/2 cup of raspberry puree and 1 pound of powdered sugar.
To make the puree, I cooked down a pound of raspberries with 1/2 cup of sugar. After they had cooked down, I pressed them through a sieve getting all of the juice and none of the seeds. I tried to get as much of the pulp as possible. I set aside 1/2 cup of the liquid for the frosting. I put the rest back in the pan. I mixed some water with 2T of cornstarch and poured that in with the liquid. I cooked this mixture until it thickened and this was my raspberry filling. It was very easy to pipe inside of the cooled cupcakes.
I piped these whimsical little flowers with melted candy. I had never done this before, so I tried a lot of different methods. I ended up only liking the little purple flowers that I hadn't filled in. I also used this method to pipe Happy Bday Linzy. Only the Linzy didn't break before it made it to the cupcake. I am going to be working on this method more because I think it is cute and fun and tastes a little better than fondant decorations. I need a lot more practice but I really like this look.

No comments:

Post a Comment