Thursday, July 22, 2010

A new life to celebrate!

I love to cook for people. Love it. And here, in the form of this beautiful family, I had the chance to share a little. Kristen, Ayden and Andrew welcomed little Eli on July 19. He is a sweet bundle of perfection! Thank you Andrew and Kristen for sharing your family with me!
Just in case anyone thinks that I only cook cupcakes, I thought I would show that I can in fact occasionally add some of the other food groups to a meal.... (cupcakes are a food group now, aren't they? It's a big pyramid, they must be on there somewhere) Although this looks like a pie, which would probably fall in the same part of the food pyramid as cupcakes, it is actually a chicken pot pie with vegies and everything :)
Now back to the cupcakes. These are lemon cupcakes with raspberry filling and a lemon cream frosting. The tang of the lemon against the raspberry was delish! I used a basic vanilla cake recipe with added lemon extract. To make the raspberry filling, I boiled down 2 cups of raspberries with 1/8 cup of sugar. I then pressed it through a sieve to remove the seeds. I put the juice back on the burner with 2 T of cornstarch and cooked it until thick. The raspberry filling is becoming one of my favorite cupcake fillers! Once the cupcakes were cool, I piped the filling in and frosted with cream cheese frosting that I added lemon extract to. A raspberry on top and it's ready to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment